How common is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is an extremely rare disease, with about two out of every 100,000 people affected by the disease, according to the ALS Association. An estimated 5,600 people are diagnosed with the disease annually across the United States. Between 20,000 and 30,000 live with it at any given time.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) occurs in about 0.001 percent of the human population. A tenth of these cases are genetic; if your parent has ALS, you have a chance of getting it as well. ALS occurs most often to people between the ages of 40 and 70. The causes of the disease are mostly unknown.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
Why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if I have ALS?
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment be...
How do I care for someone with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?
If you know someone with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), they will almost certainly benefit fro...
What are the symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Early symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) involve weaknesses of peripheral motor control...