How common is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is an extremely rare disease, with about two out of every 100,000 people affected by the disease, according to the ALS Association. An estimated 5,600 people are diagnosed with the disease annually across the United States. Between 20,000 and 30,000 live with it at any given time.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) occurs in about 0.001 percent of the human population. A tenth of these cases are genetic; if your parent has ALS, you have a chance of getting it as well. ALS occurs most often to people between the ages of 40 and 70. The causes of the disease are mostly unknown.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
What should I discuss with my doctor if I have been diagnosed with ALS?
If you have been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) you should discuss with your doc...
What is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig's disease?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
ALS, which is short for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is a degenerative disease. It affects muscle ...
What is the prognosis for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Generally, once a person is diagnosed with ALS, the average survival time is three to five years. I...