How should amyotrophic lateral sclerosis change my diet?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) will cause complications in the process of chewing and swallowing. At the same time, it changes the body's nutritional needs; generally, people with ALS need to eat more, not less. A nutritionist can help construct a diet that will be easy to consume and provide enough substance to the body. Eventually, some people with ALS have a tube inserted directly into their stomach.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
What is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig's disease?
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a disease affecting the body's motor neurons. As the neurons...
What should I discuss with my doctor if I have been diagnosed with ALS?
If you have been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) you should discuss with your doc...
What is the prognosis for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Generally, once a person is diagnosed with ALS, the average survival time is three to five years. I...