How does amyotrophic lateral sclerosis affect the body?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) causes progressive bodily deterioration. It initially causes fairly random and asymmetrical cramps and twitches, especially in the hands and feet. Disuse weakens the affected muscles, and this weakness gradually spreads to the rest of the body. Eventually, ALS compromises major bodily functions such as digestion and breathing. However, sensory input, consciousness, and the excretory system are often unaffected.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
Why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if I have ALS?
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment be...
What is the prognosis for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Generally, once a person is diagnosed with ALS, the average survival time is three to five years. I...
What does the word amyotrophic mean?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The word amyotrophic, when broken down, means muscle nourishment-with "myo" meaning muscle and "trop...