What causes blisters on my remaining limb?

Most people with prosthetic limbs have experienced blisters on the skin, which are caused by the socket that is either too loose or too tight. The blister is similar to one you would have from a poorly fitting shoe. The fluid inside the blister is leaked from blood vessels in underlying skin layers after minor damage. The best way to prevent blisters is to make sure your artificial limb fits well. Prosthetic socks and liners should be checked for wear or compression that may change the way they fit.

To treat a blister, you need to protect it with a gauze bandage and give it air time to dry out. If the blister becomes red, expands in size, or releases any discharge other than clear liquid, call your doctor. Also, if you have diabetes, you may be at higher risk for blisters and other skin problems with a prosthesis, so talk with your doctor about ways to avoid skin problems.

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

How do I preserve an amputated body part?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
I am so glad you asked this question; as a hand surgeon, I often see patients in the emergency room ...
What are the treatment options before and after an amputation?
Before an amputation, doctors will try to save a damaged limb by using antibiotics to stop an infect...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On