What causes blisters on my remaining limb?

Most people with prosthetic limbs have experienced blisters on the skin, which are caused by the socket that is either too loose or too tight. The blister is similar to one you would have from a poorly fitting shoe. The fluid inside the blister is leaked from blood vessels in underlying skin layers after minor damage. The best way to prevent blisters is to make sure your artificial limb fits well. Prosthetic socks and liners should be checked for wear or compression that may change the way they fit.

To treat a blister, you need to protect it with a gauze bandage and give it air time to dry out. If the blister becomes red, expands in size, or releases any discharge other than clear liquid, call your doctor. Also, if you have diabetes, you may be at higher risk for blisters and other skin problems with a prosthesis, so talk with your doctor about ways to avoid skin problems.

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

Should I talk to my doctor about the possibility of amputation?
If you have a serious injury that is affecting a limb, or if you are concerned that your diabetes or...
How does amputation affect the body?
Amputation is one of the most traumatic things that can happen to the body. It can affect a person b...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On