How do I manage daily living after having an amputation?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Living with an amputation can be a challenge both physically and emotionally. Physical therapy and exercise can help you regain strength and balance. If you have an artificial limb, practicing with it will help you learn how to manage daily activities confidently and independently. If you are experiencing pain, your doctor may be able to provide pain medication. Or, if you are feeling a sense of loss, counseling might be right for you.

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

What should I know about helping an adaptive diver with an amputation?
DiveheartDiveheart
Mobility-impaired adaptive divers with amputations may need to spend extra time getting weighted pro...
What tends to spur improvements in amputation techniques?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Improvements in amputation techniques generally have followed major wars. Because of the rise in the...
Are there sleep tips for those with limb loss?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Physical and emotional distress are key reasons for insomnia. While some people find limb loss makes...
How does amputation affect the body?
Amputation is one of the most traumatic things that can happen to the body. It can affect a person b...