How do I preserve an amputated body part?

Rachel Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

I am so glad you asked this question; as a hand surgeon, I often see patients in the emergency room after unfortunate accidents involving their fingers. Most people bring the part in "on ice." Unfortunately, putting it directly on ice can damage the tissue. The best way to preserve the part is to wrap it in gauze moistened with saline (salt water), place the wrapped part in a plastic sealable bag, and put the bag on ice. This helps to preserve the tissue in case the surgeon is able to reattach (or "replant") the part. This is a great technique to remember; hopefully, you never will have to use it! 

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

How does amputation affect the body?
Amputation is one of the most traumatic things that can happen to the body. It can affect a person b...
What tends to spur improvements in amputation techniques?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Improvements in amputation techniques generally have followed major wars. Because of the rise in the...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On