How can I cope with the excess moisture and rash on my remaining limb?

Keep in mind that the prosthesis socket is airtight and damp. This warm, moist environment can result in rashes and irritation. While there is increased heat production with a limb prosthesis, the limb is covered with watertight materials. Because a certain type of sweat gland (the eccrine glands) are blocked, you could have extreme sweating that results in blisters or even pimples.

The eccrine glands are found all over the body and secrete mostly water. Their purpose is to allow sweat to evaporate off the skin, which lowers the body’s temperature and also helps to rid the body of some waste products like salt. Sometimes the dissolved salts in sweat irritate the skin, causing rashes and itching. It’s important to speak with your prosthesist about this problem so it does not get out of control. Changing materials or the fit of the prosthesis may help prevent the excessive moisture. Still, if the prosthesist cannot solve the problem, your doctor may recommend using cornstarch or talc on the limb to keep it dry or trying antiperspirants that contain magnesium.

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

How long does it take to recover from an amputation?
After surgery, the wound from an amputation may take one or two months to heal. A patient will proba...
Should I talk to my doctor about the possibility of amputation?
If you have a serious injury that is affecting a limb, or if you are concerned that your diabetes or...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On