How does amputation affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Amputation is one of the most traumatic things that can happen to the body. It can affect a person both physically and emotionally. While the wound from an amputation may heal in a month or two, recovery might also involve long-term rehabilitation and adjusting to life with a prosthesis, or artificial limb. Some people with amputations feel phantom pain, or a sense of pain in the removed limb. Many people find it difficult to cope with the discomfort and the loss of independence that may accompany an amputation.

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

When is an amputation considered the only treatment option?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
There are generally two groups of people who end up with amputations. In the first group are those w...
Why was anesthesia such an important development for amputations?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When gaseous anesthesia was developed in the 1840s it gave doctors more time to perform meticulous a...
How do I preserve an amputated body part?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
I am so glad you asked this question; as a hand surgeon, I often see patients in the emergency room ...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?