Should I talk to my doctor about the possibility of amputation?

If you have a serious injury that is affecting a limb, or if you are concerned that your diabetes or PAD (peripheral arterial disease) is causing an infection, talk to your doctor immediately. The sooner your doctor can treat you, the lower your chances of needing an amputation.
Doctors will try to save a damaged limb by fixing or replacing your blood vessels. They may try to cure any infections - and stop them from spreading - by using antibiotics or by draining affected tissue. Or, they may try to increase blood supply where it's low. If these measures don't work, amputation may be required.

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

What is amputation?
Amputation is the removal of all or part of a limb. Limbs may be amputated for a few reasons: they m...
What tends to spur improvements in amputation techniques?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Improvements in amputation techniques generally have followed major wars. Because of the rise in the...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On