Should I talk to my doctor about the possibility of amputation?

If you have a serious injury that is affecting a limb, or if you are concerned that your diabetes or PAD (peripheral arterial disease) is causing an infection, talk to your doctor immediately. The sooner your doctor can treat you, the lower your chances of needing an amputation.
Doctors will try to save a damaged limb by fixing or replacing your blood vessels. They may try to cure any infections - and stop them from spreading - by using antibiotics or by draining affected tissue. Or, they may try to increase blood supply where it's low. If these measures don't work, amputation may be required.

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

Can amputation be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Although amputation cannot always be prevented, there are many effective steps you can take. If you...
What is amputation?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Removal of part or all of a body part, except for organs in the body. It usually takes place during ...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On