Should I talk to my doctor about amnesia?

Consult your doctor if you are experiencing memory loss to help determine the cause and deal with the effects. Memory loss may be caused by anything from a bump on the head to a stroke, and it can resolve within seconds or last much longer. Confirming the type of amnesia you are suffering from is as important as ruling out underlying conditions like Alzheimer's or a brain tumor. Because amnesia may affect your ability to form new memories, it is important to seek prompt medical attention.

Continue Learning about Amnesia

What is amnesia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
You probably learned about amnesia by seeing it play out in a movie or a soap opera. A character sud...
Are there complications to dissociative amnesia?
Because those with dissociative amnesia are suffering from trauma, they are at increased risk for co...
Will amnesia go away?
Many forms of amnesia, like transient global amnesia, are temporary and resolve within a relatively ...
What is anterograde amnesia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Someone who is suffering from anterograde amnesia is unable to recall incidents that occur after the...