Should I talk to my doctor about amnesia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Consult your doctor if you are experiencing memory loss to help determine the cause and deal with the effects. Memory loss may be caused by anything from a bump on the head to a stroke, and it can resolve within seconds or last much longer. Confirming the type of amnesia you are suffering from is as important as ruling out underlying conditions like Alzheimer's or a brain tumor. Because amnesia may affect your ability to form new memories, it is important to seek prompt medical attention.

Continue Learning about Amnesia

What is retrograde amnesia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Retrograde amnesia is a condition in which someone is unable to recall stored memories, such as thei...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with amnesia?
Caring for someone with amnesia may be frustrating at times. Depending on the extent of the amnesia,...
Can amnesia be life-threatening?
Most forms of amnesia, especially those that fade quickly, will not seriously harm the body. Wernick...
Are there complications to dissociative amnesia?
Because those with dissociative amnesia are suffering from trauma, they are at increased risk for co...