Should I be concerned if a family member has transient global amnesia?

If someone you know has an episode of transient global amnesia seek medical attention but do not be too alarmed. The doctor will rule out other causes like a stroke or serious illness before determining transient global amnesia. Transient global amnesia occurs suddenly and usually resolves with 24 hours. Most people who have experienced an episode never have another. The  doctor may recommend that the person avoid the activity that may have triggered the event to avoid another occurrence.

Continue Learning about Amnesia

What do I need to know about caring for someone with amnesia?
Caring for someone with amnesia may be frustrating at times. Depending on the extent of the amnesia,...
Are there complications to dissociative amnesia?
Because those with dissociative amnesia are suffering from trauma, they are at increased risk for co...
Is amnesia a common condition?
Amnesia is not a common condition. Amnesia most often results from damage to the brain in the areas ...
Can amnesia be life-threatening?
Most forms of amnesia, especially those that fade quickly, will not seriously harm the body. Wernick...