Should I be concerned if a family member has transient global amnesia?

If someone you know has an episode of transient global amnesia seek medical attention but do not be too alarmed. The doctor will rule out other causes like a stroke or serious illness before determining transient global amnesia. Transient global amnesia occurs suddenly and usually resolves with 24 hours. Most people who have experienced an episode never have another. The  doctor may recommend that the person avoid the activity that may have triggered the event to avoid another occurrence.

Continue Learning about Amnesia

What do I need to know about caring for someone with amnesia?
Caring for someone with amnesia may be frustrating at times. Depending on the extent of the amnesia,...
What is anterograde amnesia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Someone who is suffering from anterograde amnesia is unable to recall incidents that occur after the...
What is amnesia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
You probably learned about amnesia by seeing it play out in a movie or a soap opera. A character sud...
Can amnesia be life-threatening?
Most forms of amnesia, especially those that fade quickly, will not seriously harm the body. Wernick...