What is the rate of incidence for secondary amenorrhea?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

In the U.S. the incident rate of secondary amenorrhea, caused by something other than pregnancy, is approximately four percent. Secondary amenorrhea, when your menstrual period stops for a period of six months or more, is more common than primary amenorrhea, which is if you've never had a menstrual period. You are more likely to have secondary amenorrhea if you have a body fat percentage under 17 percent.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

what do i need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea ?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...
is there a cure for amenorrhea ?
For many women with amenorrhea, they can regulate their menstrual cycles with a healthy lifestyle th...
should i talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms ?
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...
should i talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea ?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...