What is the rate of incidence for secondary amenorrhea?

In the U.S. the incident rate of secondary amenorrhea, caused by something other than pregnancy, is approximately four percent. Secondary amenorrhea, when your menstrual period stops for a period of six months or more, is more common than primary amenorrhea, which is if you've never had a menstrual period. You are more likely to have secondary amenorrhea if you have a body fat percentage under 17 percent.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

How is amenorrhea treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Depending on the cause of amenorrhea, a few medications can be prescribed to help resume regular men...
Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...
Is there a cure for primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Depending on the cause of primary amenorrhea, a cure may be possible. Primary amenorrhea that is cau...
How can surgery affect amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Other illnesses affect primary amenorrhea by creating hormone imbalances and nutrient absorption pro...