What is secondary amenorrhea?

Secondary amenorrhea may be said to occur when a woman has had at least one menstrual cycle and then stops menstruating for six months, or three months if her period had been regular prior to its absence. It is normal for a woman to experience a lack of menstruation when pregnant or breastfeeding or after going through menopause. Secondary amenorrhea is often due to an underlying cause, such as polycystic ovary syndrome. If you have had regular menstrual cycles and experience missed periods for three months, it is a good idea to talk to your doctor about secondary amenorrhea.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

How is amenorrhea treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Depending on the cause of amenorrhea, a few medications can be prescribed to help resume regular men...
Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
Is amenorrhea serious?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Most of the causes of amenorrhea are treatable with medication or healthy lifestyle changes, but ame...
Is there a cure for primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Depending on the cause of primary amenorrhea, a cure may be possible. Primary amenorrhea that is cau...