What is secondary amenorrhea?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Secondary amenorrhea may be said to occur when a woman has had at least one menstrual cycle and then stops menstruating for six months, or three months if her period had been regular prior to its absence. It is normal for a woman to experience a lack of menstruation when pregnant or breastfeeding or after going through menopause. Secondary amenorrhea is often due to an underlying cause, such as polycystic ovary syndrome. If you have had regular menstrual cycles and experience missed periods for three months, it is a good idea to talk to your doctor about secondary amenorrhea.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

should i talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea ?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
what increases my risk for secondary amenorrhea ?
The probability of secondary amenorrhea is increased by weight, stress, overexercising, certain medi...
is there a cure for amenorrhea ?
For many women with amenorrhea, they can regulate their menstrual cycles with a healthy lifestyle th...
should i talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms ?
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...