What increases my risk for amenorrhea?

Because amenorrhea can be caused by a number of conditions, several risk factors must be considered:

• Undernourishment, eating disorders or low body fat put you at risk for amenorrhea or the absence of menstrual periods and can cause other medical complications.
  • Excessive or over-strenuous exercise can also stress both your hormonal and reproductive systems and lead to amenorrhea.
  • If you take drugs such as contraceptives or antidepressants, you run the risk of menstrual irregularities.
  • If you have had uterine surgery such as dilation and curettage (D&C), a cesarean section or a removal of uterine fibroids, you may develop Asherman's syndrome, in which scarred uterine tissue accumulates in the uterus and can block regular menstruation.

Depending on the cause of amenorrhea, it can be known to occur in members of the same family. For example, if primary amenorrhea was caused by a rare genetic disorder such as Boucher-Neuhäuser syndrome, it can be passed down between generations. Your doctor will probably ask about family history when trying to determine the cause of your amenorrhea, to rule out certain genetic abnormalities or diseases. Some conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and primary ovarian insufficiency do tend to run in families and can cause secondary amenorrhea. However, many causes of secondary amenorrhea (pregnancy, low body weight, stress, or even a hormonal imbalance) are circumstantial and are not passed down genetically.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Is there a cure for primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Depending on the cause of primary amenorrhea, a cure may be possible. Primary amenorrhea that is cau...
What is primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary amenorrhea is when a girl 16 or older has not received her first period, also known as begin...
What do I need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...
Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...