Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?

The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started menstruation. Other symptoms may accompany the absence of your period, including pimples, an unusual amount of hair on the body and face, problems with vision and headaches. If there are no signs of puberty, like pubic hair or breast development, than the lack of physical puberty signs may also be a symptom of primary amenorrhea.

If you are 16 and have yet to have your first menstrual period, talk to your doctor about symptoms of primary amenorrhea. Girls who do not exhibit signs of puberty like pubic or armpit hair and enlarged breasts by age 14, and definitely by age 16, should talk to their doctor about primary amenorrhea. It is also important to share with your doctor any family history of late or absent periods in the women in your family, as well as any genetic factors that may affect genital and reproductive development.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

What is amenorrhea?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Some women experience the absence of menstrual periods or extremely light periods; this is called am...
Is amenorrhea serious?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Most of the causes of amenorrhea are treatable with medication or healthy lifestyle changes, but ame...
What do I need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...
Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...