Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?

The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started menstruation. Other symptoms may accompany the absence of your period, including pimples, an unusual amount of hair on the body and face, problems with vision and headaches. If there are no signs of puberty, like pubic hair or breast development, than the lack of physical puberty signs may also be a symptom of primary amenorrhea.

If you are 16 and have yet to have your first menstrual period, talk to your doctor about symptoms of primary amenorrhea. Girls who do not exhibit signs of puberty like pubic or armpit hair and enlarged breasts by age 14, and definitely by age 16, should talk to their doctor about primary amenorrhea. It is also important to share with your doctor any family history of late or absent periods in the women in your family, as well as any genetic factors that may affect genital and reproductive development.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Can I get amenorrhea if I am not sexually active?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
You can get amenorrhea even if not sexually active. Secondary amenorrhea is when, after being regula...
More Answers
Is it ever normal to experience amenorrhea?
Shelley C. Giebel, MDShelley C. Giebel, MD
Women can also stop having menstrual cycles on the birth control pills, this is called pill amenorrh...
More Answers
How can surgery affect amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Other illnesses affect primary amenorrhea by creating hormone imbalances and nutrient absorption pro...
More Answers
What is amenorrhea?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Some women experience the absence of menstrual periods or extremely light periods; this is called am...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.