How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose amenorrhea?

You should see a doctor if you have reached the age of 16 without starting menstruation or if you have already started, but have missed three periods in a row. It is important that you are prepared for an appointment with your doctor to diagnose the cause of your amenorrhea because you will have a short amount of time to rule out a lot of possible causes. It is helpful to bring a record of your normal menstrual cycles so you can have a timeline of when your amenorrhea started. You can also bring a list of medications you are currently taking and their dosages to help determine if that is the cause. Be prepared to answer questions about any family history of amenorrhea, your level of sexual activity, eating or exercising habits, or any surgeries or injuries you have recently experienced. Your doctor will help you determine the cause of your amenorrhea and begin discussing treatment options.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

How does primary amenorrhea affect fertility?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary amenorrhea affects the body by making it extremely difficult for a woman to conceive. Primar...
Is it ever normal to experience amenorrhea?
Shelley C. Giebel, MDShelley C. Giebel, MD
Women can also stop having menstrual cycles on the birth control pills, this is called pill amenorrh...
What is primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary amenorrhea is when a girl 16 or older has not received her first period, also known as begin...
Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...