Is there a cure for amenorrhea?

For many women with amenorrhea, they can regulate their menstrual cycles with a healthy lifestyle that balances nutrition, exercise, and stress. But some causes of amenorrhea require medication such as oral contraceptives to treat a hormonal imbalance. For those youngsters with primary amenorrhea due to delayed puberty, they can take a hormone supplement of progestin or even estrogen to encourage the effects of puberty including menstruation and breast development. If hypogonadrotropic hypogonadism is the cause (a problem with the hypothalamus or pituitary gland), it can be treated with growth and other hormones. However, some of the underlying causes of amenorrhea cannot be cured. For example, genetic disorders which reduce the number of eggs a woman produces or a birth defect that affects reproductive organs do not have cures. Women diagnosed with premature menopause or primary ovarian insufficiency cannot be cured of their amenorrhea because their supply of eggs cannot be replaced after it is gone.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

What causes amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Because menstruation is a necessary bodily function in women, amenorrhea is usually a symptom rather...
Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
How do I manage primary amenorrhea on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary amenorrhea may require daily management if the cause is related to lifestyle factors or requ...
What do I need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...