How can amenorrhea be prevented?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Because amenorrhea can be caused by a number of different conditions, it can be unavoidable sometimes, as with genetic disorders and some medication. However, lasting amenorrhea can cause long-term problems such as osteoporosis, or bone loss, which is usually associated with menopause. The best way to prevent amenorrhea is to work to maintain a healthy weight through a balance of nutrition and exercise. This allows your body to distribute hormones and nutrition fairly, which keeps your body functioning properly. Stress management is also beneficial to avoiding amenorrhea and preventing sickness. It is also helpful to record when your menstruation cycle occurs, so you can evaluate the cause of any irregularities.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
Are there medications to treat primary amenorrhea?
Treatment options for primary amenorrhea will vary based on the cause of the absent period. Primary ...
Is there a cure for primary amenorrhea?
Depending on the cause of primary amenorrhea, a cure may be possible. Primary amenorrhea that is cau...
Can I get amenorrhea if I am not sexually active?
You do not have to be sexually active to experience amenorrhea. Although pregnancy is one of the mos...