How can amenorrhea be prevented?

Because amenorrhea can be caused by a number of different conditions, it can be unavoidable sometimes, as with genetic disorders and some medication. However, lasting amenorrhea can cause long-term problems such as osteoporosis, or bone loss, which is usually associated with menopause. The best way to prevent amenorrhea is to work to maintain a healthy weight through a balance of nutrition and exercise. This allows your body to distribute hormones and nutrition fairly, which keeps your body functioning properly. Stress management is also beneficial to avoiding amenorrhea and preventing sickness. It is also helpful to record when your menstruation cycle occurs, so you can evaluate the cause of any irregularities.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

What increases my risk for secondary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The probability of secondary amenorrhea is increased by weight, stress, overexercising, certain medi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...
What is amenorrhea?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Some women experience the absence of menstrual periods or extremely light periods; this is called am...
How can surgery affect amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Other illnesses affect primary amenorrhea by creating hormone imbalances and nutrient absorption pro...