How does amenorrhea affect my body?

While amenorrhea mostly affects the reproductive system, causes such as anorexia or bulimia, excessive exercise, or tumors may cause lasting damage to the body. Tumors may spread and prevent the functioning of organs, and anorexia and bulimia can cause extreme muscle or bone loss if untreated. The absence of menstruation can cause effects similar to those of menopause if it is not addressed. One serious condition associated with amenorrhea is osteoporosis, or bone loss, that usually occurs in menopausal women who do not have enough calcium and vitamin D to maintain the bone density. Prolonged amenorrhea can also increase the risk of infertility.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Is amenorrhea serious?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Most of the causes of amenorrhea are treatable with medication or healthy lifestyle changes, but ame...
What do I need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...
What increases my risk for amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Because amenorrhea can be caused by a number of conditions, several risk factors must be considered:...
How is amenorrhea treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Depending on the cause of amenorrhea, a few medications can be prescribed to help resume regular men...