What if I develop excess body hair with amenorrhea?

Excess body hair, or hirsutism, can develop on the face or body and can indicate a hormonal imbalance when paired with amenorrhea. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one of the more common causes of amenorrhea. Other possible causes include tumors of the adrenal gland, pituitary gland, or ovaries, a reaction to some drugs, or hypothyroidism.  Other symptoms may include developing a deeper voice, acne, obesity, or extreme fluctuations in the menstrual cycle. Determining the cause of and treating the amenorrhea should help stop the development of excess body hair.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

How do I manage primary amenorrhea on a daily basis?
Primary amenorrhea may require daily management if the cause is related to lifestyle factors or requ...
What do I need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...
Are there medications to treat secondary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for secondary amenorrhea will vary based on the cause of the absent period. Second...
Is it ever normal to experience amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can be caused by a number of different conditions. Primary amenorrhea (when menstruation ...