Can secondary amenorrhea have complications?

Common complications of secondary amenorrhea include infertility and emotional stress. Sometimes a complication of or concurrent condition with secondary amenorrhea is endometrial hyperplasia. This condition is a thickening of the uterine lining. If this is the case, sometimes this condition can turn into endometrial cancer.

Secondary amenorrhea causes temporary and permanent infertility depending on whether the cause of secondary amenorrhea is treatable. Infertility is caused due to lack of ovulation, meaning you are not producing viable eggs.

Another complication of secondary amenorrhea is the emotional stress that accompanies missing your menstrual cycle. This emotional stress can be compounded if you are trying to conceive. Emotional stress is often reduced when the cause of secondary amenorrhea is discovered and treatment is under way. Treating complications of secondary amenorrhea requires seeing your doctor and receiving support from loved ones.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

How is amenorrhea further classified?
Amenorrhea can be further classified into ovulatory amenorrhea (when an egg is released) and anovula...
How do I manage primary amenorrhea on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary amenorrhea may require daily management if the cause is related to lifestyle factors or requ...
What causes amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Because menstruation is a necessary bodily function in women, amenorrhea is usually a symptom rather...
Can I get amenorrhea if I am not sexually active?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
You can get amenorrhea even if not sexually active. Secondary amenorrhea is when, after being regula...