Are there medications to treat primary amenorrhea?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Treatment options for primary amenorrhea will vary based on the cause of the absent period. Primary amenorrhea treatments may include hormones, surgery and medication to address any underlying conditions.

Medications to treat primary amenorrhea include hormone supplements, radiation, and nutritional therapy. Depending on the cause of primary amenorrhea, you may be given medication to address the issue in hopes of bringing about your first menstrual cycle. Hormone supplements are often prescribed to bring on your first menstrual period if a lack or imbalance of hormones is determined to be the cause. Radiation medications may be used to treat tumors or glands that are overactive. Nutritional therapy and related treatments, including medications like antidepressants, are used to help with malnutrition and weight issues that require correction before menstruation may begin.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Is it normal to not have a period for several months?
Darcy N. Bryan, MDDarcy N. Bryan, MD
Women who don't menstruate for several months are defined as having amenorrhea. In this video, Darcy...
Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
Are there medications to treat secondary amenorrhea?
Treatment options for secondary amenorrhea will vary based on the cause of the absent period. Second...
Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...