Can amenorrhea have any complications?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
The causes of amenorrhea can affect the body differently and cause different complications. Amenorrhea itself, the absence of a menstrual period, is usually an indicator of a larger problem. However, prolonged amenorrhea has been linked to the development of osteoporosis, or bone loss, in women of all ages.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

How is amenorrhea further classified?
Amenorrhea can be further classified into ovulatory amenorrhea (when an egg is released) and anovula...
What increases my risk for amenorrhea?
Because amenorrhea can be caused by a number of conditions, several risk factors must be considered:...
Is there a cure for primary amenorrhea?
Depending on the cause of primary amenorrhea, a cure may be possible. Primary amenorrhea that is cau...
Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...