What do I need to know about caring for someone with amblyopia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Amblyopia, or lazy eye, affects vision, so how you care for someone affected by the condition depends on how severe it is. In most cases, though, the condition may call for the use of corrective lenses, eye drops, or eye patches. You'll want to make sure the person in your care is following the optometrist's orders regarding these treatment options. For example, you may need to remind the person to wear the eye patch for the specific amount of time every day, or help them to put in the eye drops into the affected eye.

Continue Learning about Lazy Eye

Can my child catch a lazy eye (amblyopia) from another child?
Amblyopia is a vision condition also referred to as lazy eye. It occurs when development between the...
Can amblyopia be prevented?
Regular eye exams may prevent amblyopia, or lazy eye. Amblyopia can be caused by a number of other e...
What is a lazy eye (amblyopia)?
Amblyopia is a condition that affects sight. You may have heard of it referred to as "lazy eye." Whe...
How many people suffer from amblyopia?
Amblyopia is a very common childhood condition, which normally continues into adulthood when not tre...