What are the plaques and tangles in Alzheimer's disease?

Gayatri Devi, MD
Neurology
The plaques and tangles in Alzheimer's disease are the deposits between and inside nerve cells in the brain that eventually cause death of those cells. In this video, neurologist Gayatri Devi, MD, explains how these deposits progress the condition. 
David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatry
Plaques and tangles, which are considered the hallmark of the neuropathology of Alzheimer's disease, are the accumulations of proteins. Plaques are extracellular beta-amyloid accumulations of protein. Tangles are inside the neurons -- they are the hyper-phosphorylated filaments of tau proteins.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

How to Avoid Doubling Your Dementia Risk
If you're hoping to dodge age-related dementia down the road, best get a handle on your blood sugar now. Both chronically high blood sugar (prediabet...
Is Alzheimer's disease related to Parkinson's disease?
Dr. Zaldy S. Tan, MDDr. Zaldy S. Tan, MD
Both Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease are diseases of the brain. Both may cause forgetful...
How do I know the stage of my Alzheimer’s disease?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Doctors classify Alzheimer’s disease according to the level of cognitive (thinking abilities) and fu...
How to Recognize the Signs of Alzheimer’s Disease