What are the plaques and tangles in Alzheimer's disease?

Gayatri Devi, MD
Neurology
The plaques and tangles in Alzheimer's disease are the deposits between and inside nerve cells in the brain that eventually cause death of those cells. In this video, neurologist Gayatri Devi, MD, explains how these deposits progress the condition. 
David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatry
Plaques and tangles, which are considered the hallmark of the neuropathology of Alzheimer's disease, are the accumulations of proteins. Plaques are extracellular beta-amyloid accumulations of protein. Tangles are inside the neurons -- they are the hyper-phosphorylated filaments of tau proteins.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

Fighting Back Against Dementia and Alzheimer’s
You’ve heard the figures: In the U.S., nearly 6 million people are living with age-related dementias—around 70 percent of those cases are due to Alzhe...
How do I know if a referral for an Alzheimer’s specialist is a good one?
Dr. Dede BonnerDr. Dede Bonner
One of the best ways to judge a prospective doctor’s quality is through the recommendation from anot...
What questions should I ask my doctor when I am diagnosed with Alzheimer’s?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Your life is changed forever by a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease. Seeing your familiar family doct...
Memory Loss: What We’ve Learned About Dementia and Alzheimer’s