What parts of the brain degenerate in Alzheimer's disease?

In Alzheimer's disease, typically the first part of the brain to degenerate is the hippocampus, the area of the brain that makes memories. Gradually, the cerebral cortex is affected also, causing problems with language, reasoning and behavior.

Dr. David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatrist (Therapist)

In Alzheimer's disease, memory-important regions like the hippocampus degenerate. The hippocampus is the seahorse-shaped medial temporal lobe structure that’s deep in the brain. There are also brainstem nuclei that involve neurotransmitters, like acetylcholine, norepinephrine and serotonin, which start to disappear. As the brain starts to change or degenerate with the disease process, shrinkage begins, especially in memory areas like the medial temporal lobe.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

Do This for 20 Minutes to Skirt Alzheimer's
To cut your risk of Alzheimer's by more than half, just do this for 20 minutes twice a week: walk. Exercising for 20 to 30 minutes a couple of times ...
What should I ask to get a good referral for an Alzheimer’s specialist?
Judith London, MDJudith London, MD
Another way to find an Alzheimer's specialist is to find a hospital or university sponsored memory c...
How can I find a clinical study for Alzheimer's disease?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To find a clinical study for Alzheimer's disease on the internet go to ClinicalTrials.gov, a searcha...
The Different Stressors That Can Affect Your Brain Health