What is the link between testosterone levels and Alzheimer's disease?

In a Wayne State University study, there was a 26% decrease in the risk of developing Alzheimer's for every 50% increase in free testosterone in the bloodstream. Scientists aren't sure if testosterone levels are simply a result of other factors related to the disease, or if the hormone is actually helping to prevent it, but it's clear that testosterone levels are an important link to healthy aging. Aging men should get their testosterone regularly checked and discuss options with their doctor if they have abnormally low levels.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

What You Eat May Increase Your Risk for Alzheimer’s Disease
If you could only watch Sergio Leone westerns (A Fistful of Dollars, Once Upon a Time in the West, My Name is Nobody), that steady diet of macho and m...
Can Alzheimer's cause seizures?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Alzheimer's disease (AD) can cause seizures. Approximately 10 percent to 20 percent of people with A...
What other mental issues do people with Alzheimer's often experience?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Other mental issues that people with Alzheimer's disease often experience include neuropsychiatric o...
Should I Be Worried if Alzheimer's Runs in My Family?