How many people in the United States have Alzheimer’s disease?

The number of people with Alzheimer's disease is increasing in the United States. According to an evaluation done in 2010, approximately 4.7 million people suffered from Alzheimer's dementia in the U.S. alone. According to information provided by the Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, this number is predicted to be greater than 13.8 million by the year 2050.

Approximately 4.5 million people in the United States have the disease. Because advanced age is a risk factor for AD, this number likely will increase dramatically as life expectancy rates climb and the number of elderly people in the United States grows. By 2050, an estimated 11 million to 16 million people will have AD. Most people with the disease may live an average of 8 to 20 years after diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

Surprising Ways Alzheimer’s Impacts Women Differently Than Men
While Alzheimer’s disease is common among both men and women—it’s the sixth leading cause of death in the US overall—its prevalence (the proportion of...
What questions should I ask my doctor when I am diagnosed with Alzheimer’s?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Your life is changed forever by a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease. Seeing your familiar family doct...
What are Alzheimer care facilities?
Judith London, MDJudith London, MD
Good facilities that specialize in memory care may tailor their programs to provide appropriate stim...
The Best Foods for Your Brain
The Best Foods for Your Brain