How many people in the United States have Alzheimer’s disease?

Approximately 4.5 million people in the United States have the disease. Because advanced age is a risk factor for AD, this number likely will increase dramatically as life expectancy rates climb and the number of elderly people in the United States grows. By 2050, an estimated 11 million to 16 million people will have AD. Most people with the disease may live an average of 8 to 20 years after diagnosis.

The number of people with Alzheimer's disease is increasing in the United States. According to an evaluation done in 2010, approximately 4.7 million people suffered from Alzheimer's dementia in the U.S. alone. According to information provided by the Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, this number is predicted to be greater than 13.8 million by the year 2050.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

Are Down Syndrome Therapies Similar to Alzehimer's Disease Therapies?
Who Will Get Alzheimer's?
Who Will Get Alzheimer's?
Should I Be Worried if Alzheimer's Runs in My Family?
Is There an Increase in Neurological Disease?