What complications related to Alzheimer's can prove fatal?

Judith London, MD
Psychiatry
As Alzheimer's progresses, individuals become less able to perform the daily tasks we all do when we are healthy. Eventutally the damaged brain cells no longer send out the messages needed to cough, swallow or eat. So, if someone gets a bad cold, it can lead to penumonia. If a person cannot swallow, he no longer can eat. Any infection that may lead to a hospital stay is difficult for someone with advancing Alzheimer's since he no longer understands what is happening to him and often resists treatment. People with Alzheimer's continue to decline as these problems overwhelm them.

Accidents or falls caused by disorientation, a lack of balance, or wandering off are common with Alzheimer's patients. These could cause death, or lead to other complications, such as surgery.

Although Alzheimer's is always fatal, the most common cause of death for people with Alzheimer's stems from some other acquired infection.

Zaldy S. Tan, MD
Geriatric Medicine

Alzheimer’s disease is rarely the cause of death in patients with the disease. Usually, the cause of death is complications that arise from the brain degeneration that Alzheimer’s causes. Common causes of death for Alzheimer’s patients include:

• Pneumonia. This occurs when Alzheimer’s impairs the part of the brain that controls swallowing. The lack of muscle coordination can cause food and fluid to travel down the wind pipe instead of the esophagus (food pipe). This leads to pneumonia, which can often be fatal.
  • Falls and head trauma. Alzheimer’s can start to affect the part of the brain responsible for controlling leg muscles and balance. This impairs the walking, which can lead to falls with head trauma or hip fracture.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

Do This for 20 Minutes to Skirt Alzheimer's
To cut your risk of Alzheimer's by more than half, just do this for 20 minutes twice a week: walk. Exercising for 20 to 30 minutes a couple of times ...
How do I know the stage of my Alzheimer’s disease?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Doctors classify Alzheimer’s disease according to the level of cognitive (thinking abilities) and fu...
How will I feel when a loved one with Alzheimer's dies?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
One insightful person describing the experience of someone caring for an Alzheimer’s patient cal...
Two Patients Share Their Cognitive Symptoms