Does Alzheimer's disease affect the sense of smell?

One of the first parts of the brain affected by Alzheimer’s is the olfactory cortex, which is responsible for our sense of smell. If your ability to identify scents diminishes, it may mean more than just sinus issues.

Here’s a simple test. Have a friend lay out the following 12 scent items: strawberry, smoke, soap, peppermint, clove, pineapple, natural gas, lilac, lemon, leather, rose, and cherry. If you cannot identify at least 9 of the 12 items by smell, talk to your doctor.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

More Good News for Blueberry Lovers
More Good News for Blueberry Lovers
If you aren’t already eating blueberries, you may want to start. This tiny, low-calorie fruit is a nutrient powerhouse, packed with vitamins C and K, ...
Screen Time and Alzheimer’s
Screen Time and Alzheimer’s
When teen idol Chris Hemsworth played a computer hacker in Blackhat, moviegoers wondered how someone who spent his life sitting in front of a computer...
What happens in stage 1 of Alzheimer's disease?
Judith London, MDJudith London, MD
People in the early stages of this disease require the stimulation and interaction with others that ...
If I haveParkinson's, Will I Also Get Alzheimer's Disease?