Will I have to limit my activity after deep brain stimulation?

Nader Pouratian, MD
Neurosurgery
Absolutely not. We do this surgery to improve your quality of life, to improve your functioning, to improve the time that you spend with family and friends. So we don’t want you to limit your activity. After you’ve gone through the surgical process, of course you do need to limit activity for the first six weeks after implantation, but after that, we encourage you to increase your activity as much as you can tolerate with your disease.

In general once the DBS system is placed, a person can resume his or her normal activities. There is always a risk a lead fracture but for the average activities this typically does not happen. The DBS systems are designed to improve the quality of your life and expand your ability to do activities not limit it.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Treatment

What medicines are used to treat Alzheimer's disease?
Some doctors find that combining different Alzheimer's drugs increases the benefits in some patients...
Can drug treatments slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease?
Dr. John H. Growdon, MDDr. John H. Growdon, MD
For many years, doctors believed that hormone therapy during and after menopause might protect women...
Are Down Syndrome Therapies Similar to Alzehimer's Disease Therapies?
The Connection Between Down Syndrome and Alzheimer's Disease