Will I have to limit my activity after deep brain stimulation?

In general once the DBS system is placed, a person can resume his or her normal activities. There is always a risk a lead fracture but for the average activities this typically does not happen. The DBS systems are designed to improve the quality of your life and expand your ability to do activities not limit it.

Nader Pouratian, MD
Neurosurgery
Absolutely not. We do this surgery to improve your quality of life, to improve your functioning, to improve the time that you spend with family and friends. So we don’t want you to limit your activity. After you’ve gone through the surgical process, of course you do need to limit activity for the first six weeks after implantation, but after that, we encourage you to increase your activity as much as you can tolerate with your disease.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Treatment

Can medication be used to treat Alzheimer's behavior problems?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
Alzheimer’s medications can help reduce some behavioral problems, such as depression, irritabili...
Is there a cure for Alzheimer's disease?
Judith London, MDJudith London, MD
Although there is no cure for Alzheimer's, studies indicate that there are ways we can strengthen th...
What Is the State of Alzheimer's Disease Research and Treatment?
A New Medication for Alzheimer’s Disease