What should I expect after deep brain stimulation?

Deborah Davis
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A week after surgery, the pulse generator in your chest is activated in your doctor's office.  The amout of stimulation is customized to your situation, based on your mood and side effects.  Stimulation is generally constant, 24 hours a day.  The pulse generator can be easily programmed from outside your body with a hand-held device you're given to use.  With this, you can temporarily turn off stimulation by holding the magnet over ther area of or chest where the pulse generator is implanted.  When you move the magnet away, stimulation restarts.  You must remain in close contact with your surgeon or other specialist involved, to make sure that the pulse generator is working correctly.  You may also need to continue standard depression treatments, such as taking antidepressants.

Following deep brain stimulation, your Parkinson’s disease symptoms will be minimized, and, during a much greater part of your day, you medications will be working at their best and with minimal side effects. In addition, the average patient experiences a 50 percent reduction in the amount of medication they are required to take.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Treatment

What medicines are used to treat Alzheimer's disease?
Dr. John H. Growdon, MDDr. John H. Growdon, MD
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved five drugs for the treatment of Alzheimer's dise...
What type of Alzheimer’s specialist should I see after my diagnosis?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
There is no one kind of doctor who specializes exclusively in treating Alzheimer’s. Ask your family ...
How Are You Applying Your Down's Syndrome Research to Alzehimer's Disease?
How Do We Treat Dementia?
How Do We Treat Dementia?