How will new drugs for Alzheimer's disease help control costs of care?

A new report from the Alzheimer’s Association finds that on our current trajectory Alzheimer’s disease in adults over 65 will cost $1 trillion per year by 2050 and a total of $20 trillion in the next 40 years. New disease-modifying treatments could change that trajectory, though. A new treatment that delays the onset of disease by 5 years would push back the growth in new cases reducing the number of people with the disease by 43 percent and saving $447 billion a year by 2050. A treatment that slows the progression of AD by 5 years would reduce the number of people in the severe stage of the disease by over 80 percent and save $197 billion a year by 2050.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Treatment

Will I have to limit my activity after deep brain stimulation?
Brian Kopell, MDBrian Kopell, MD
In general once the DBS system is placed, a person can resume his or her normal activities. There is...
What medications might help for Alzheimer's disease (AD) in the future?
The medical and scientific communities have been exploring medicines for Alzheimer's disease (AD) th...
How Are You Applying Your Down's Syndrome Research to Alzehimer's Disease?
Who Will Get Alzheimer's?
Who Will Get Alzheimer's?