How can eating fish help protect me from mental decline as I get older?

According to researchers at Rush University Medical Center, seniors who eat as little as one serving of fish per week slow age-related mental decline by an equivalent of three to four years and reduce their risk of Alzheimer’s by half. And a study at Harvard that retested blood samples taken 20 years earlier found that people with higher blood levels of a type of omega-3 found in fish oil were least likely to have developed Alzheimer’s two decades later. The omega-3 fatty acids found in fish (especially fatty fish, such as salmon, sardines, flounder and cod), nuts, seeds and some oils (such as canola and olive oil) have also been shown to help with depression and other mental states. In a study of 3,600 adults conducted by Kaiser Permanente, those who ate a serving of fatty fish were 20 percent less likely to register aggravation, resentment, mistrust or cynicism. Fish is also a great source for lean protein and B vitamins—crucial for brain health.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Prevention

Which nutrients may prevent the onset of Alzheimer's?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
According to the Alzheimer’s Association, twice as many American women as men have Alzheimer’s disea...
Are there foods I can eat to help prevent Alzheimer's?
Researchers have long explored whether diet may preserve cognitive function or reduce the risk for A...
The 10 Foods That Can Help Your Brain
The 10 Foods That Can Help Your Brain
How Can We delay the Onset of Alzheimer’s Disease?