What is an amyloid factory?

Within every cell in our bodies, there exist tiny molecular factories that capture, transport and process biochemical messages delivered by neurotransmitters, hormones, or other signaling molecules. These messages direct the cell to do something, such as step up production of one protein or shut down production of another.

As these orders are carried out, a cascade of changes occurs in the cell, ultimately influencing what it does and how it interacts with other cells and signals in the body. This signaling cascade within our cells orchestrates every aspect of our behavior.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Causes

Can You Spot the Signs of Early-Onset Alzheimer's?
Some 5.7 million Americans—nearly two-thirds of them women—currently live with Alzheimer’s disease, the most common cause of dementia. And we rightly ...
What are the causes and risk factors for Alzheimer's disease?
No one knows what causes Alzheimer's disease but genetics are believed to play a role as roughly 5 a...
How can I reduce my risk of Alzheimer's disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
“People who are concerned about something like memory loss should seek the help of a qualified physi...
Is Alzheimer's Disease Hereditary?
Is Alzheimer's Disease Hereditary?