What increases my risk for Alzheimer's disease?

Age is the biggest risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease. Family history of Alzheimer’s also increases one's risk of having the disease, especially the early-onset form. Some research suggests diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and obesity, and alcohol abuse and tobacco use may increase one's risk of getting the disease. Other studies have shown that increased social, mental and physical activity may protect one from getting Alzheimer’s disease.
Sarine Salama
Sarine Salama on behalf of MDLIVE
Age is the greatest known risk factor contributing to Alzheimer's Disease. The likelihood of developing Alzheimer's after the age of 65 doubles every 5 years. Another dominant risk factor is family history of the disease. The risk of you getting Alzheimer's increases if more than one family member has the disease. Genetics are also involved in getting Alzheimer's disease. APOE-e4 is considered to be the risk gene with the strongest influence related to getting Alzheimer's.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Causes

how do my age and gender affect my risk of Alzheimer disease ?
Advancing age remains the main risk factor for developing Alzheimer's disease, and recent studies co...
what are the risk factors for Alzheimer disease ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Apparent risk factors for Alzheimer's disease include age, genetic inheritance and gender. Those ol...
who will get alzheimer ?
who will get alzheimer ?
how do we treat dementia ?
how do we treat dementia ?