What is reflexology?

Reflexology is the ancient practice of applying pressure to specific parts of the foot, and sometimes the hands, which are thought to correspond to specific glands, organs, and other parts of the body. Similar to acupressure and shiatsu, as the reflexologist works on each reflex, it is claimed that the patient experiences a reduction of stress and tension in the corresponding body part.

Reflexology is usually a painless therapy, without serious side effects. It is relatively easy to learn a few of the basic techniques in order to help yourself or other family members. The initial reflexology session usually lasts from 45 to 60 minutes. If hand reflexology is included, the session could last longer.

Continue Learning about Alternative Medicine

What are the benefits of inversion tables?
In past studies, inversion therapy has been shown to decrease back pain by providing traction to...
What is an infrared sauna?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
An infrared sauna heats the body directly unlike a regular sauna, which uses warm air to heat the bo...
What Should I Know Before I Try Qi Gong?
Can Being Positive Make Me Healthier?
Can Being Positive Make Me Healthier?