What is magnetic stimulation therapy (MST) for mood disorders?

Studies involving magnetic stimulation therapy (MST) have been ongoing for a while now, but the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) only recently approved trials involving humans. MST uses powerful magnetic fields to actually induce a seizure. Because MST can focus on very specific areas of the brain, however, it may not affect memory or concentration, the negative side effects experienced by those who undergo electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). The treatment takes place in a hospital under general anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Alternative Medicine

When “Natural” Isn’t Safe
When “Natural” Isn’t Safe
Natural is in—because “natural” means safe, right? That’s not always the case. Arsenic is natural; so is hemlock (ask Socrates how that turned out), ...
How many people use alternative medicine?
A 2004 survey from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine reported that near...
Is it safe to take natural remedies with conventional medications?
Natasha Turner, NDNatasha Turner, ND
It may not always be safe to take natural remedies with conventional medications, so it's important ...
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?