What safety measures should I take during hyperbaric oxygen therapy?

For your comfort and safety, please:

• Provide a complete list of all your current medications, including those which are available without a prescription. Hyperbaric oxygen may interact with some medications. We require a complete list of all medications that you are taking so that we may review it with your physicians.
  • Notify the staff if you have symptoms of a cold or flu. Often it's best to delay treatment until these symptoms subside.
  • Remove the following immediately before entering the chamber: Dentures, or partial plates. All jewelry and other personal items. You will be provided with special cotton garments to wear during your treatments.
  • Do not bring flammable substances. Pure oxygen is highly flammable. No cigarettes, matches, cigarette lighters or other flammable substances may be brought inside the chamber.
  • Do not use any tobacco products.
  • Hyperbaric oxygen is not effective in smokers and can even be counter-productive because of the side effects of nicotine.
  • Do not use oil or alcohol based grooming products before entering the chamber.
  • Hairspray, makeup, perfume and aftershave should not be worn.
  • Do not bring any valuable items with you.
  • Although lockers are available for clothing and other items, we recommend that you leave valuables at home.

Continue Learning about Alternative Medicine

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: What You Need to Know About the Medical Cannabis Program
Depending on whom you talk to, medical cannabis (also known as marijuana) is either a panacea for everything from cancer, to chronic pain, to epilepsy...
What are health benefits of saunas?
Eva B. Cwynar, MDEva B. Cwynar, MD
Saunas have been used around the world for centuries for detoxification and relaxation. A sauna ...
How can I reduce stress in the afternoon?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
To reduce stress in the afternoon, take two or three minutes to write down five things for which you...
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?