Does the medical community endorse the use of reflexology?

The medical community does not appear to be on board with the theories about why reflexology would work primarily because there is no scientific evidence that any part of the foot corresponds to any specific part of the body.

However, a study published in a 2006 journal published for the Reflexology Association of America claims a reduction in self-reported pain and in the amount f pain medication needed.

The study involved 60 post-surgery patients, who were divided into a group that received reflexive foot massage and one that did not.

The results of that study were not replicated and it is difficult to prove that the reflexology caused the pain reduction that patients reported. It may be that the relaxation, stress relief, sense of calm and increased circulation achieved by massage therapy, in general, caused those patients to experience less pain.

Continue Learning about Alternative Medicine

What is a poultice?
A poultice is a material that is soft and moist. It is similar to a warm compress in that it is heat...
Can karma affect my physical health?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Any discussion of karma naturally leads to questions about its effect on health. If all our thoughts...
What Should I Know Before I Try Kung Fu?
What Are the Health Benefits of Ahi Flower?