Can light therapy help treat acne?

If you are considering a cosmetic procedure or treatment, you should consult a dermatologist about which one is right for you. Phototherapy, such as blue-light therapy and pulsed-light therapy, can help treat acne by killing acne-causing bacteria and shrinking the sebaceous glands, which make the sebum that can clog pores. Light can be used alone or in combination with other heat-generating devices that deliver heat deep within the tissue, or with chemicals that increase the skin's sensitivity to light. The light doesn't use potentially damaging wavelengths such as ultraviolet light. Treatments are given in a doctor's office by a trained clinician.

Seek a physician’s assistance for medical concerns.

Continue Learning about Alternative Medicine

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: What You Need to Know About the Medical Cannabis Program
Depending on whom you talk to, medical cannabis (also known as marijuana) is either a panacea for everything from cancer, to chronic pain, to epilepsy...
What are the limitations of modern medicine?
Denise ChranowskiDenise Chranowski
This is a good question. My answer is that the limitation is to recognize that we must not think 'we...
Are green coffee supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
No. There is NO research on the effect of green coffee beans in women who are pregnant or breastfeed...
Can Acupuncture Help Boost My Immunity?
Can Acupuncture Help Boost My Immunity?