How effective is light therapy in treating seasonal affective disorder?

Bryce B. Wylde
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Seventy percent of patients with mild-to-moderate seasonal affective disorder (SAD) symptoms respond to light therapy from a light box at 2500 lux 2h/day or 10,000 lux one hour/day, within 1-2 weeks where about 50% achieve complete remission. "Lux" is a unit of illuminance or luminous emittance from a light source. The latest research suggests that the intensity of the light exposure is more important that the spectrum or wavelength. So, avoid getting lured in to buying one of the very expensive units which profess having a "special" wavelength that "mimics the sun".

Continue Learning about Alternative Medicine

When “Natural” Isn’t Safe
When “Natural” Isn’t Safe
Natural is in—because “natural” means safe, right? That’s not always the case. Arsenic is natural; so is hemlock (ask Socrates how that turned out), ...
What is the sequence of progressive sweeping exercises?
 This is related to the practice of Pranic healing, an alternative to conventional medicine.  Pranic...
Why is alternative medicine so popular?
Elissa MullenElissa Mullen
Alternative medicine is so popular because it gives patients choices. A health conscious choice allo...
What Should I Consider When Using Alternative Medical Treatment?