Why should I write in a journal about my cancer?

Writing in a journal is a very private way of becoming more aware of how you feel about your cancer experience. When using journaling to help you cope, find a blank book, and choose a focus for your writing. This will depend upon where you are in the process of accepting the changes in your life.

You may want to write in a quiet place. At first, a blank page can feel intimidating. However, writing for a short time every day is a good place to start.

Consider writing about topics such as the following:

• How do I feel each time I go for a medical appointment?
  • How did it feel when I told my loved ones I had cancer?
  • What do I hope will change in my life after cancer?
  • What do I like about the new me?
  • What do I miss from my life before cancer?
  • What opportunities for positive changes come with cancer?

Continue Learning about Alternative & Complementary Care for Cancers

What are the types of heat therapy?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common form of heat is usually a moist heat pack. Other forms of heat therapy include warm ...
What is massage therapy for cancer treatment?
Massage is a manual therapy that involves the rubbing or kneading of parts of the body to aid ci...
Are there alternative treatments for lymphangiomatosis?
A diet that is low in fat and high in protein can be used to treat lymphangiomatosis. However, diet ...
Can Natural Medicines Be Safely Used with Cancer Therapy?