Why should I write in a journal about my cancer?

Writing in a journal is a very private way of becoming more aware of how you feel about your cancer experience. When using journaling to help you cope, find a blank book, and choose a focus for your writing. This will depend upon where you are in the process of accepting the changes in your life.

You may want to write in a quiet place. At first, a blank page can feel intimidating. However, writing for a short time every day is a good place to start.

Consider writing about topics such as the following:

• How do I feel each time I go for a medical appointment?
  • How did it feel when I told my loved ones I had cancer?
  • What do I hope will change in my life after cancer?
  • What do I like about the new me?
  • What do I miss from my life before cancer?
  • What opportunities for positive changes come with cancer?

Continue Learning about Alternative & Complementary Care for Cancers

Can natural medicines be safely used with cancer therapy?
Dr. Peter Bongiorno, NDDr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
Watch as Naturopathic Doctor and Licensed Acupuncturist Dr. Peter Bongiorno explains how natural...
Are there alternative treatments for penile cancer?
Alternative treatments exist for penile cancer but, like alternative treatments for any disease, the...
What are the types of heat therapy?
There are three types of heat therapy: local, regional, and whole-body treatments. Heat is appli...
Can Natural Medicines Be Safely Used with Cancer Therapy?