Is there a benefit from taking Astragalus for cancer treatment?

Henry McCann, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Astragalus is a very commonly used Chinese herb with few side effects. It is used as a general Qi tonic and in China is routinely given to cancer patients in addition to other treatments. One study done in China and published in the Indian Journal of Pharmacology has also shown that Astragalus can have anti-tumor effects. That said, Astragalus is not something that is taken as a treatment by itself for cancer and is best used in combination with other conventional and alternative therapies.

However, before taking any herb during chemotherapy or radiation therapy it is advisable to check with your oncologist as well as consult with a professional practitioner of Chinese medicine. In the US this means finding an acupuncturist who also has professional training and certification in Chinese herbal medicine. Even though Astragalus is a commonly used herb, it may not be appropriate for all patients.

Continue Learning about Alternative & Complementary Care for Cancers

Should I talk to my doctor about my lymphangiomatosis?
If you have lymphangiomatosis, you should talk with your doctor about treatment options. The conditi...
Can lymphangiomatosis be prevented?
There is no known way to prevent lymphangiomatosis. The condition, in which benign tumors grow in th...
Why should I write in a journal about my cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Writing in a journal is a very private way of becoming more aware of how you feel about your cancer ...
Can Natural Medicines Be Safely Used with Cancer Therapy?