What is aloe vera?

Aloe Vera is a plant related to the cactus family. Its name is derived from the Arabic word “Alloeh” meaning “shining better substance” and the Latin word “vera” meaning true. Its botanical name is Aloe barbadensis miller, and it belongs to the Asphodelaceae (Liliaceae) family. Aloe Vera grows predominately in dry regions of Africa, Asia, Europe and America.

Aloe Vera produces a gel and a latex that is used in medicines, lotions and supplements. Known as the “plan of immortality”, ancient Egyptians were using aloe vera six thousand years ago.

Continue Learning about Aloe

What is the difference between OTC aloe vera and prescription aloe vera?
Aloe vera is available over-the-counter mixed with other ingredients or in its pure form. There are ...
Should I let my doctor know if I'm taking aloe vera?
Herbs such as aloe vera are not strictly regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. There a...
What are the risks of taking aloe vera?
Using aloe vera gel for a prolonged period of time can lead to allergic reactions including hives or...
What should I avoid while taking aloe vera?
Tirzah Hawkins Tirzah Hawkins
Carefully monitor your blood sugar if you are already on a medication to treat diabetes and decide ...