Who should use aloe vera?

Topical aloe vera is intended for moisturizing the skin and healing skin infections, wounds, burns, and skin conditions. It has been shown to generally be safe and possibly effective in the treatment of psoriasis when applied to the affected area.

Aloe vera is effective for constipation when the latex is taken orally, but it may cause side effects of cramping and diarrhea. Individuals use aloe vera for many conditions that have not been studied for safety and efficacy. The FDA requested manufacturers remove or reformulate oral laxative products and report safety data by November 2002.

Continue Learning about Aloe

Should I let my doctor know if I'm taking aloe vera?
Herbs such as aloe vera are not strictly regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. There a...
What are the health benefits and risks of aloe vera?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Aloe Vera sap actually contains at least 13 different drugs. And some of these do inhibit tumors and...
Are there any side effects of aloe vera?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 8% of patients experien...
What are the risks of taking aloe vera?
Using aloe vera gel for a prolonged period of time can lead to allergic reactions including hives or...