What is the difference between OTC aloe vera and prescription aloe vera?

Aloe vera is available over-the-counter mixed with other ingredients or in its pure form. There are a few prescription medications with aloe vera as one of the active or inactive ingredients, but there is no prescription strength aloe vera. Individuals can purchase their own aloe vera plant and break open the leaves to use the gel. This herb has been used in studies involving cancer patients and has been used along with chemotherapy to benefit individuals with metastatic cancer.

Continue Learning about Aloe

Are there any side effects of aloe vera?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 8% of patients experien...
What is the maximum daily dosage of aloe vera?
Individuals wanting to use aloe vera should follow recommended dosing on package labeling. Talk to y...
What are other names for the herb aloe vera?
Aloe vera has been used around the world since ancient times. This herb was given as a gift to decea...
Should I let my doctor know if I'm taking aloe vera?
Herbs such as aloe vera are not strictly regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. There a...