When should I see a doctor about my allergies?

If your allergy symptoms interfere with your daily activities, you have congestion that lasts more than 2 weeks, or your current treatment is not providing relief, you may want to make an appointment with your doctor.

Before your appointment, make a list of your symptoms, including when you experience them and when you don't as well as what works to relieve them and what doesn't.

At your appointment for your allergy symptoms, you can expect your doctor to:

• Ask about your symptoms, medical history, and any family history of allergies or asthma
  • Ask about medications you're taking
  • Check your nose, eyes, ears, and throat
  • Check your lungs by listening to your breathing
  • Check your skin for rashes

If you and your doctor suspect seasonal allergies or allergic asthma is at work, you may choose to try over-the-counter or prescription medications to relieve your symptoms. Your doctor may also suggest allergy testing to gather more information or may refer you to a specialist (allergist/immunologist).

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Allergies

Could You Be Allergic to Your Antibiotics?
When baboons make the cover of National Geographic magazine, the centerfold usually has at least one picture of a female baboon’s big red bottom. And ...
How Can I Figure Out If I Have a Dairy Allergy?
Your Guide to Surviving Spring Allergies
Tame Your Allergies With Yogurt
Tame Your Allergies With Yogurt