Advertisement

What happens when a poisonous plant touches the skin?

Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine
Poisons oak, ivy and sumac all contain an oily chemical known as urushiol, which irritates your skin and can produce a severe allergic reaction. While up to 30 percent of people are immune to these urushiol-induced allergies, those of us who are not so lucky can experience serious discomfort when we come in contact with this plant --including itching, redness, oozing skin and severe burning pain where the plant touched your skin.

Continue Learning about Allergies

That Labradoodle May Not be Hypoallergenic After All
That Labradoodle May Not be Hypoallergenic After All
The white dog in the picture is a Labradoodle—the offspring of a Labrador Retriever and a Poodle. Like a lot of people (including the Obamas), our int...
Read More
How is anaphylaxis treated?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
First and foremost, removing the agent that is causing the reaction is key (e.g., bee stinger, medic...
More Answers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
Start Slideshow
Does Homeopathy Work for Allergies?
Does Homeopathy Work for Allergies?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.