Can I have an unexpected allergic reaction to a drug?

Unexpected allergic reactions to drugs are rare, but symptoms can be severe, ranging from fever to skin rashes and hives, and anaphylaxis, a severe and potentially life-threatening reaction that includes swelling of the tongue and mouth, difficulty breathing, rapid heartbeat, a dramatic drop in blood pressure, unconsciousness, and possibly even death.

Continue Learning about Allergies

Nasal Allergies and the Negative Effects of Alcohol
Allergy sufferers everywhere, listen up. You may feel a little better if you choose the virgin daiquiri instead of the grown-up version. It's possibl...
Are allergies the same as autoimmune disorders?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Common allergies result when your immune system overreacts to a harmless substance, but they are not...
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
How Can I Know If I Have a Dairy Allergy?